The Gen 2 Spruce Controller requires a device handler update in order to connect to SmartThings. The publication for the device handler is still in the SmartThings queue as of 1/2/2018.
Please note the following regarding SmartThings connectivity:
- The web app: Connecting the Spruce Controller to SmartThings will limit connectivity to the web app. When set up this way, the following applies:
- The Gen2 controller can use any of the SmartThings integrations that apply to the Gen1 controller
- Sensors that are connected to the SmartThings network (not to the Spruce Controller network) will not report data to the Spruce webapp.
- The sensors might have greater range depending on the devices in your SmartThings network
- Users that wish to use schedules with sensor integration must use the SmartThings Spruce Scheduler Smartapp, which is the same scheduler used for the Gen 1 controller.
- Contact delays can be used through SmartThings
- The SmartThings Spruce Scheduler SmartApp uses WeatherUnderground weather stations and can be assigned to a personal weather station
- If the Gen 2 controller is concurrently connected to Wi-Fi:
- Basic and Manual schedules can be set and run from the Spruce app
- Zones can be turned on from either SmartThings or the Spruce app
The updated device handler (required for connectivity to SmartThings) has been published as of 7/18/2017.
- Sensors connected to SmartThings will not report data to your Spruce web app account.
- Battery levels for Gen 2 Sensors will report lower percentages in SmartThings due to voltage scaling differences with the new battery type in Gen 2.